On 1 January 1949 the boundaries of the City of Sydney expanded to take in the neighbouring municipal councils of Glebe, Darlington, Newtown, Erskineville, Alexandria, Waterloo, Redfern and Paddington. This expansion took place in accordance with provisions in the Local Government (Areas) Act 1948. The effect was to give the City responsibility for a ring of adjacent suburbs containing mostly dilapidated residential and industrial areas.
To effectively manage the enlarged area, and also to come to grips with new town planning responsibilities given to local government after 1945, the City of Sydney embarked on a project to make a detailed map of the whole area within the new boundaries. The City commissioned an aerial photogrammetric survey, which was flown on 15 December 1949 at 4800 feet by Adastra Photography.
Using the aerial photographs as a basis, the staff of the City Building Surveyor’s department prepared a set of map detail sheets. These 'City Building Surveyor's Detail Sheets c1956' are also available online in the Historical Atlas.
The aerial survey comprised 163 images, taken in several runs across the City and adjacent areas. As usual in such surveys there is a high degree of overlap between adjacent images. Five of the original images have not survived, but the overlap means that all areas are covered.
The master map created for the Atlas provides mouse rollover 'hot spots' to the centre of each image. In some cases it may be necessary to refer to adjacent images.
Review the Additional Flights